Friday, January 6, 2012

Eye on the Mass (aka "Watching My Weight"!)

I'm a Weight Watcher for the ummmm... maybe 6th time in my life. Not that it doesn't work; I just start going waaaay overboard with what I should be eating! I have a great recipe to share. It's just a humble ham and cheese omelet, but with an adjustment or two, it has less Weight Watcher points and it is tastier than the ones I usually make.

HAM AND CHEESE OMELET (I always want to spell it OMELETTE, but my computer says that's wrong ...)
(5 Points per serving, and a serving is HALF of the omelet!)

4 large egg whites
2 large eggs
2 Tbs uncooked scallions, minced (I used a white onion because it's what I had)
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp hot pepper sauce (I used Tabasco)
1 spray cooking spray
1/2 cup cooked, lean ham, finely diced
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (I didn't have Parmesan. Ended up using 1/8 cup of cheddar.)


In a large bowl, beat together egg whites, eggs, scallions, salt, pepper, and hot sauce.

Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Pour in egg mixture and tilt skillet so bottom is completely covered with egg. Cook omelet until eggs are almost set, occasionally lifting egg in skillet to let uncooked egg to move to edges of skillet, about 3 to 5 minutes.

Sprinkle ham and cheese over eggs. Using a spatula, ease up edges of omelet and gently fold in half; cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Yields 1/2 of omelet per serving.


My two favorite things about this recipe: (1) the onions--ahem, scallions--are crunchy! I'm a "saute the onions until clear" kind of girl, so I was skeptical when the recipe called for them to be uncooked. I loved the crunch in this recipe! (2) I would never have thought to add Tabasco, so I just threw in a dash. I really, really liked the small amount of spice. I'll probably do TWO dashes next! Watch out! I'm goin' nuts!!

I do love this new Weight Watchers. I basically haven't been planning too much. It's all online, and I input what I've eaten after each meal, but could do it just as easily at the end of the day. It calculates everything for me. It also has a collection of recipes, restaurant foods, activities, etc. (I do not work for Weight Watchers, so they're not paying me for this plug!) The coolest part, in my opinion, is that I can input any recipe I decide to cook, and it will calculate it to tell me how many points each serving would be. Awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment