Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happppy New Year!!!

Happy 2012 to all of you. If the Mayans are right, we have approximately 354-356 more days to finish our bucket lists! I guess I'll be bungee jumping this year if I can talk someone into going with me....

Since today is the beginning of a new year and I want the good luck needed to survive until God or the Mayans call me home, I have my blackeyed peas on the stove, and my sister Ricki is bringing over cabbage rolls later. This morning I was in search of a banana cake recipe. The best-looking one I found was a Martha Stewart cupcake recipe, but I gave it up for changing the sheets on the bed and washing some clothes. Well....lo and behold, I get a text from my friend, Kathy McVey. Her text said, and I will quote part of it: "I just made THE most incredible banana cake for a New Year's Eve party and wanted to share it with you." Can you believe that? We are 75 miles apart and saw each other last on December 18. She reads my mind, I tell you!

I called her and got her secret recipe, which she just happens to have found on food.com. And here it is, with some tweaks of hers and some twists of mine:

BEST EVER BANANA CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

1 1/2 cups bananas, mashed, ripe (about 3 bananas)
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 1/8 cups sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

Frosting

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 1/2 cups icing sugar

Garnish

chopped walnuts


Preheat oven to 275°.
Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan. (I used a bundt pan and increased cooking time about 10-15 minutes.)
In a small bowl, mix mashed banana with the lemon juice; set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
In a large bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter and 2 1/8 cups sugar until light and fluffy.
Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in 2 tsp vanilla.
Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
Stir in banana mixture.
Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for one hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes. This will make the cake very moist. (I had to clean out my freezer to make a spot for it!)
For the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
Add icing sugar and beat on low speed until combined, then on high speed until frosting is smooth.
Spread on cooled cake.
Sprinkle chopped walnuts over top of the frosting, if desired.


This cake was so awesome!!! I split it up and took part to Mom and Dad, part to sister Ricki's, and part to sister Becca's. Everyone liked it, so you have to try it too! Tomorrow, the thumbprint cookies! (I keep thinking it will be tomorrow....)

No comments:

Post a Comment