Friday, December 30, 2011

Pie, Pie, Me oh My!

I love the song that Andie McDowell sings in the movie "Michael," called "Pie:"
"Pie
Pie
Me oh my
Nothing tastes sweet, wet, salty, and dry..."

I've made several pies lately, the most recent being just yesterday, my mom's birthday. We ended up having this pie as her birthday "cake" because of a cake mix-up in the Johansen House kitchen. This Blackberry Cream Pie recipe was in an old cookbook that my dad had, and it was meant to be made with dewberries. Well, I didn't have dewberries! I changed berries and kept the recipe the same:

BLACKBERRY CREAM PIE

Blackberries or Dewberries, approximately 1 1/2 cups
1 unbaked pie shell
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sour cream
pinch of salt
8 Tbs flour
8 Tbs sugar
4 Tbs butter

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Fill unbaked pie shell with berries.
Mix next 5 ingredients and pour over berries.
Mix last 3 ingredients with a fork until butter is pea-sized. Sprinkle over pie and bake at 325 for 30 mins, then at 350 degrees for 15 mins.



I made two chess pies at Thanksgiving and they came out perfectly; used this same recipe a couple of weeks later, and had to throw out the pie! I will try again some day, because when it's right, it's very, very good!

CHESS PIE
(from JustAPinch.com)

1 Tbs cornmeal
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 Tbs flour
3 eggs
1 stick butter
1 Tbs vanilla
1 Tbs vinegar
1 unbaked pie shell

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Melt butter in microwave.
Mix cornmeal, sugar, and flour.
Add eggs and butter. Cream thoroughly.
Mix in vanilla and vinegar.
Pour into pie shell and bake for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment