Friday, December 30, 2011

A Thanksgiving A"side"

I moved into my new (1960's) home in October. I've never been the cook in the family: I have 3 sisters who cook, and my mom and dad are gourmet cooks! I entered this game late and lately, and I'm using this blog to chronicle the things I've cooked in this enlarged (for me!) kitchen, as well as to record family recipes.

I invited the whole family to Thanksgiving this year! It was a combined effort: we can't live without Mom's chicken and dressing, Dad's pound cake, or my sister Ricki's "green salad" (not lettuce!) and sweet potatoes. I've rarely contributed since I have always come in from out of town, but this year, I'm local! I've always made the mashed potatoes, but I needed a signature side dish. I think I found it in this Corn Casserole recipe, below. We had it for Thanksgiving at my home, plus I made it for my sister Becca's celebration the next day. It was a favorite for several, so I'll keep it in my repertoire in the years to come! I even shared the recipe earlier that week with the phone service representative as I waited on hold!

THANKSGIVING CORN CASSEROLE
(found online, and it looked good!)

1 can cream corn, undrained
1 can corn, drained
1 box Jiffy cornbread mix (see ** below if you can't find Jiffy)
2 large eggs
1 stick butter, melted
2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine all but half of the cheese in a bowl.
Pour into a large, greased 9x13 baking dish.
Bake at 350 until center is set and casserol is slightly golden, 35-40 mins.
Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake 5-10 more mins.
(You could also sprinkle with paprika for color.)

**If you can't find a box of Jiffy cornbread mix, use
2/3 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbs baking powder
3 Tbs sugar
1/2 cup cornmeal

No comments:

Post a Comment